Sony has released the full changelog for the beta version of the February 2022 PS5 firmware update (3.0-05.00.00) revealing some minor unannounced changes, including child account security features and some visual changes, such as pinning the PlayStation Plus icon on the left side of the home screen. By doing the latter, Sony believes players will find it more convenient to redeem their monthly games and access their PS Plus collection more easily.
What’s New in the February 2022 PS5 Firmware Update Beta?
If you prohibit a minor from playing a purchased or installed game, they will now also not be able to see that game’s background image. Additionally, activity cards from restricted games will no longer be displayed in the control center or game hub. The PS5 now also supports more emojis and there is apparently a button guide showing you how to reload and zoom while using the internet browser.
The full changelog is as follows:
Key features updated in this beta program version of the system software
- In (Game Base) we have updated the following:
- Voice chats are now called parties.
- To facilitate access, we have divided Game Base into three tabs: [Friends]† [Parties] and [Messages]†
- Now when you start a party, you can select an open party or a closed party.
- An open party lets your friends join in without an invite. Friends of party members can also become members.
- A private party is only for players you invite.
- From the Game Base control menu and maps, you can now do the following:
- See all your friends under the [Friends] tab in the control menu.
- Start Share Play directly from the voice chat card. You no longer need to launch Share Screen to use Share Play.
- Add a player to a group or create a new group directly from the message card. You can also send video clips, images, quick messages, and view a group’s shared media from this card.
- Now when someone in a party shares their screen, you will see the (c )) in the sky icon. You can check this in the [Parties] tab.
- Player search and friend requests are now under the [Friends] tab.
- We’ve made it easier to decline friend requests by adding a . to add [Decline] button to your friend requests list.
- In (Accessibility), we’ve updated the following:
- We’ve updated the following for the screen reader:
- The screen reader is now supported in six additional languages: Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, and Korean.
- The screen reader can now read notifications aloud.
- You can now enable mono audio for headphones so that the same audio is played through both the left and right headphones.
- With your headphones connected, go to [Settings] † [Sound] † [Audio Output]and then turn on [Mono Audio for Headphones]† Or go to [Settings] † [Accessibility] † [Display and Sound]and then turn on [Mono Audio for Headphones]†
- You can now show a checkmark on enabled settings so that you can easily see that they are enabled. • Go to [Settings] † [Accessibility] † [Display and Sound]and then turn on [Show Check Mark on Enabled Settings]†
- In (Trophies) we updated the following:
- The visual design of trophy cards and the trophy list has been updated.
- You can now see suggestions for which trophies you can earn on the trophy tracker when you play a game.
- For the features available in the Create menu, we’ve updated the following:
- You can now launch Share Screen and stream your gameplay to an open party.
- We’ve added a new feature: Voice Command (Preview). Voice Command (Preview) understands voice commands for finding and opening games and apps, as well as controlling media playback.
- To get started, go to [Settings] † [Voice Command]and switch on [Enable Voice Command (Preview)]† Then yell “Hey, PlayStation!” and ask your PS5 to do something.
- You can use this feature to find and open games and apps, control your media without even touching a button, and much more. • Currently, Voice Command (Preview) is only available in English to players with PSN accounts in the US and UK.
- We have added support for the Ukrainian language.
Other Updated Features
- We’ve made the following improvements to the game library:
- Below the [Your Collection] tab, you can now filter your games by genre to find the games you want to play faster.
- We’ve pinned PlayStation Plus to the left edge of the game’s home screen.
- You can now redeem monthly games faster.
- Access the PS Plus game collections more easily from the home screen.
- We’ve added a button guide to show you how to reload and zoom while using the web browser.
- If you want to report something that someone in a group has said, there are now visual indicators that let you see who was speaking. This will help PlayStation Safety take appropriate action based on your report.
- We’ve made the console more secure for child accounts:
- When viewing a purchased or installed game, they cannot be played, the game background image is hidden.
- Activity cards, such as those displayed in the control center or game hub, are not displayed for age-restricted games.
- Now you can keep the games or apps you choose on your home screen.
- When focusing on a game or app, press the options button to open the options menu and select [Keep in Home]† The games and apps you want to keep will remain on your home screen.
- You can keep up to 5 games and apps on each home screen
- You can now have three more games and apps appear on your home screen.
- We now support more emojis.
- We have changed the keyboard layout for Polish.
- We have updated the DualSense wireless controller device software to improve stability.
- In Game Base on PS5 and Party on PS4, if you select [Open Party] if you start a party, only players using the beta version of the PS5 or PS4 system software can join. To start a party that players not using the beta version can join, select [Closed Party]†
In other news, Horizon Forbidden West’s accessibility options have been detailed and Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition Remaster has been announced.