So, you finished the first season of “Halo,” the series on Paramount+, and now there’s a Master Chief-shaped hole in your heart. What are you going to do? Thankfully, the Halo franchise has 20 years worth of games, books, podcasts, and more ways to explore the universe and make the wait for Season 2 of the show feel a little shorter.
Before I get into some recommendations, a quick note: “Halo,” the series takes place in what’s known as the Silver timeline, with a plot that draws on many of the central themes and characters of the games, fictional extended and other media properties. but it branches off from the core canon to better suit the very different needs of a television series, but also to ensure that the game’s timeline and events don’t get bogged down in the ongoing needs of a show. So, as you explore the various games and novels that make up the main canon, you’ll absolutely recognize familiar characters and events, but sometimes presented in entirely new ways, giving you a rich and expansive universe to discover with familiar elements and also. significant surprises! And of course, the same is true for fans of the game experiencing the show for the first time.
For most fans, the Halo franchise began in 2001 with Halo: Combat Evolved and the original Xbox console, although technically, the novel “Halo The Fall of Reach” preceded the game’s release by a few weeks and introduced the Chief, the dark origin of the Spartan program, and many of the characters and story that are very present in both the games. games like TV timeline. But for the first part of this exercise, we start with the game where it all began, and with some essential picks for players eager to experience the Master Chief story first-hand, all available with xbox game pass on consoles and PC:
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection – The original iconic journey of Master Chief can be experienced through a single integrated experience, featuring both the series’ epic campaigns and multiplayer suites. Whether you’re a long-time fan or meeting Spartan John-117 for the first time, The Master Chief Collection is the definitive Halo gaming experience and history lesson, with upgraded and modernized versions of halo 1 Y twoas much as halo 3its epic expansion, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4Y halo reach – a prequel set just before the events of the first game.
- Halo 5: Guardians – The Master Chief saga continues, with a solo and up to 4-player cooperative experience spanning three worlds. A mysterious and unstoppable force threatens the galaxy. The Spartans of Fireteam Osiris and Blue Team must embark on a journey that will change the course of history and the future of mankind.
- infinity halo – Immerse yourself in the latest Halo campaign with Xbox Game Pass. When all hope seems lost and the fate of humanity hangs in the balance, the Master Chief will face one of the most ruthless enemies he has ever faced on the surface of a dangerous new Halo ring. infinity halo also features a free multiplayer suite available on Xbox consoles, Windows PC and Steam, where players take control of their own customizable Spartan in a variety of exciting game modes in a multiplayer offering that will continue to grow and evolve over time.
If you’re a fan of the written word, over 30 Halo novels have been written to date. If you’re not sure where to start, we can recommend a few collections to immerse you in the franchise lore.
- “The Fall of Reach”, “The Flood” and “First Strike” – Immerse yourself in the original books of the Halo franchise, serving as a prelude to Halo: Combat Evolved and bridging the gap between her and the events of halo 2. Whether you’ve played it or not, these novels build a foundation for better understanding the stakes in the conflict between humanity and the Covenant and provide additional color and background on key characters and events.
- “Harvest of Contacts” – Explore the story of humanity’s first contact with the Covenant. What started this war? Why did the Covenant attack? What happened to the first human world to be visited by the dangerous alien alliance? Written by Joseph Staten himself from 343.
- Kilo Five Trilogy – If you are looking for a deeper dive into the Halo universe, this character-driven trilogy consisting of “Glasslands”, “The Thursday War” and “Mortal Dicata” will highlight the darker side of the UNSC, ONI, and how the Spartan program impacted families left behind.
- “Silent Storm” and “Oblivion” – Interested in taking a look at some of the early days of the Master Chief’s career? “Silent Storm” and “Oblivion” are two fantasy novels by renowned author Troy Denning that take a look at some of the Chief’s harrowing exploits at the start of humanity’s war against the Covenant.
The Halo universe also includes visual and audio storytelling, in the form of short films, audio recordings, and television. These provide additional context to the universe and can tell a different story about the Master Chief and the Spartans complementary to the stories in the games.
- “Halo Legends” – This collection of seven short films delves into the Halo universe and was produced and directed by several distinguished anime studios, including Bones, Toei Animation, and Bee Train.
- “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn” – Released in 2012 as a five-episode series, this was Halo’s first live-action feature film offering. The story links Cortana and the Master Chief with Captain Thomas Lasky and the UNSC. Plenty.
- “Halo: Hunt the Truth” – Linked to the story of Halo 5: GuardiansThis two-season investigative audio series follows journalist Benjamin Giraud, voiced by Keegan Michael Key, as he seeks to learn the story behind the Master Chief and his exploits.
- “Halo Infinite: Memory Agent” – This six-episode narrative podcast series follows a secret agent whose memory resets every seven hours as he attempts to deliver vital information to the Master Chief prior to the events of infinity halo.
You have played, read, seen and listened to all this and you are yet hungry for more? Whether you recently graduated with a degree in Forerunner history, are looking to cosplay as your favorite Spartan, or just need to brush up on your favorite character, check out these resources.
- “Halo Encyclopedia” (2022) – in celebration of the 20ththe anniversary of the Halo franchise, 343 Industries has partnered with Dark Horse for a definitive guide to the Halo universe spanning two decades of storytelling. This epic tome features a massive collection of never-before-seen art from a variety of amazing artists, and is written by the inside story team at 343 Industries.
- “Halo Mythos” – Experience the grand history of the Halo universe in one easily accessible location, from the reign of the majestic Forerunners countless millennia ago, to humanity’s struggle against the alien forces of the Covenant and the Flood. Written by the expert team at 343 Industries and illustrated with over fifty stunning full-color paintings.
- Previously on Halo – A fansite developed by Halo superfan and current 343 Industries community writer Alex Wakeford, Previously on Halo is a Spartan guide to every game, book, comic, and character in the vast Halo universe.
- 405the infantry division – A costume and prop community that offers guides, resources, and more for anyone looking to take their love of Halo to the next level.
It doesn’t matter if you just finished your first fight with Master Chief or if you’ve been with us since 2001, the Halo community has something for everyone. The Halo universe is filled with stories of hope, heroism, and humanity in whatever medium you choose, and we couldn’t be more excited to have you in the fight with us.
For the latest on all things Halo, including news straight from the studio, head over to Halo landmark. And for all things Xbox, stay tuned to Xbox Wire.