One of the most frequently asked questions from iPhone users is how to transfer photos and videos to Mac. Maybe it’s because it frees up more iPhone storage or iCloud space. Or maybe it’s because you want to back up this precious data.
No matter what reason you want to transfer photos or videos from iPhone to Mac, here are the right methods. After that, we’ll show you how to do the job in 5 easy ways, and 4 of them are official ways. Let’s check now.
- Transfer iPhone Photos to Mac with Airdrop
- Transfer iPhone Photos to Mac with MacX MediaTrans
- Transfer iPhone photos to Mac with Photos app
- Transfer iPhone Photos to Mac with iCloud
- Transfer iPhone Photos to Mac with iTunes
Method 1. Transfer Photos from iPhone to Mac with AirDrop
Airdrop allows documents, websites, contacts, photos and videos between iPhones and more to be wirelessly sent from one Airdrop supported device to another. It’s a great way to transfer large files from one Apple device to another instantly. Airdrops work over Bluetooth, so both the sending and receiving devices must have Bluetooth enabled.
Airdrop requires Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to share data. Make sure both devices are within Wi-Fi and Bluetooth range. If you’re ready to get started, read on to learn how to Airdrop from iPhone to iPhone with ease.
First, you need to enable Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or even if you have a personal hotspot, and Airdrop on both your iDevice and Mac. Then follow the steps below to get the job done:
Step 1 – Launch Airdrop on your iPhones
- Swipe up/down from the top/bottom of your iPhone screen to open “Control Center”.
- In the Control Center, turn Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on and off. Then allow Airdrop and choose “Contacts Only” or “Everyone”.
Step 2 – Enable AirDrop on your Mac
- Open “Finder” on your Mac, then click “Go” in the menu bar and select AirDrop.
- A window will open with the AirDrop icon at the bottom, click on it and select “Everyone”.
Step 3. Transfer photos from iPhone to Mac with Airdrop:
- Go to the Photos app and choose the photos you want to transfer,
- Tap the “Share” button and choose “Airdrop” and the target device.
- Finally, tap “Accept” in the prompt on your Mac to start photo sharing.
To learn more about AirDrop ., refer to this guide here†
Method 2 – Transfer Photos from iPhone to Mac with Photos App
The Photos is where all the photos and videos you take with your iPhone. It can be one of the most traditional ways to transfer photos to Mac OS (https://www.macxdvd.com/mobile/transfer-photos-from-iphone-to-mac.htm†
Step #1. Connect your iPhone to your Mac with a USB cable. Then open the “Photos” app on your Mac.
Step 2. An import screen will appear showing all the photos and videos that are on your iPhone.
Step 3. Unlock your iPhone and tap “Trust” when a “Trust this computer” notification pops up.
Step 4. Tap Click on “Import Selected” to transfer the photos you want. You can also click “Import all new photos” to transfer your entire camera roll.
Method 3 – Transfer Photos from iPhone to Mac with MacX MediaTrans
If you want an easier yet more efficient way to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac, I recommend MacX MediaTrans. Why did I suggest you use MacX MediaTrans instead of the built-in function?
MacX MediaTrans Overview
MacX MediaTrans is iPhone file manager application software, mainly designed for MacBook Air/Pro/Mac 4K/5K etc. iPhone transfer software to easily transfer photos, videos, movies, music, TV shows, etc. between iPhone, iPad and Mac computers. Plug and transfer solution provides secure and fast iPhone transfer for batch and large format data.
Benefits of MacX MediaTrans
- It’s a much faster way to transfer up to 100 photos in 4K quality in 8 seconds. You get storage space because it allows you to compress the files without losing quality.
- Just 2 clicks to complete the whole transfer process.
- You can delete videos and photos from your iPhone, something you can’t do with iCloud or iTunes backup.
- You can use your iPhone as if it were a pen drive to carry information.
- All this and more, no storage limit, no size limit and no device limit.
- Well compatible with all Mac OS, including Macbook Pro/Air, iMac, Mac Mini or iMac Pro, etc.
For all these reasons, it is easy to think that MacX MediaTrans is the best alternative to iTunes and iCloud to backup videos, music, photos, etc. between iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac. Now let’s see the detailed steps on how to transfer iPhone photos to Mac with MacX MediaTrans.
Step 1. Download MediaTrans on your Mac and then connect your iPhone to Mac via USB cable.
Step 2. Click the “Photo” icon to get the photos on your iPhone, then select the photos you want to transfer to your Mac (direct drag and drop supported). Then the photos will be saved to your Mac.
- To transfer all photos: To transfer all photos at once, click on Export and there is an option of Select All, click on it.
- To transfer photos selectively: Choose your preferred photos, Ctrl-select and click Export.
Method 4 – Transfer Photos from iPhone to Mac with iCloud
iCloud stores your photos, passwords, notes, files and other data in the cloud, this is where all your Apple stuff is stored automatically. And the following are the steps to transfer photos to Mac with iCloud.
Step 1. Set up iCloud Photo Library on our iPhone: Go to “Settings” > Tap [your name] at the top > Go to “iCloud” > Tap “Photos” > Turn on “iCloud Photos”.
Step 2. Setting up iCloud Photo Library on our Mac: Launch “Photos” app > Go to Photos menu in menu bar > Click on “Preferences” > Click on “iCloud” > Check the box next to iCloud Photo Library. PS Check iCloud Photos in macOS Mojave.
Method 5 – Transfer Photos from iPhone to Mac with iTunes
Apple designed iTunes as an all-in-one software for managing iOS as a single multimedia suite for all your Apple device needs. iTunes can easily transfer iPhone photos and videos to laptops without any hassle. If your iPhone has images that aren’t on your computer, you can follow these steps to import them to your Mac:
Step 1. Make sure your computer has the latest version of iTunes. You need iTunes 12.5.1 or later to import photos. Launch iTunes first (more information†
Step 2. Connect your iPhone to Mac using the original iPhone USB cable. You may need to unlock your iPhone with the passcode on the screen and then click “Trust this computer” if such a window appears.
Step 3. Click on your device icon in the top bar of iTunes.
Step 4. Look on the left side of iTunes Windows and click Pictures.
Step 5. Check the box next to “Sync images” and select the folder or app you want to sync from.
Step 6. Select “Sync all photos and albums”. You can select “Add Videos” to add your iPhone videos to the sync.S
Step 7. On your laptop, click the “Start” menu and then select Photos to open the “Photos” app.
Step 8. Select “Import > From a USB Device”, select your iPhone and follow the instructions. You can select the items to import and choose where to save them. Please wait for detection and transfer.
Last updated: February 25, 2022