NPD Group’s U.S. video game retail report for June 2021 is in, revealing an overall increase in consumer spending compared to the same period last year.
In terms of hardware, the Xbox Series X/S was the best-selling platform in dollars. However, it was Nintendo Switch that sold the most units. Xbox’s dollar sales in June set a new record for Microsoft, beating a previous record the company had set in June 2011.
PlayStation 5 remains the fastest-selling console in US history. However, sales were somewhat hampered by supply constraints. Sony’s console is notoriously hard to find among new hardware.
In the field of software, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was the best-selling game of June in the US tear apart achieved highest dollar revenue in launch month in Ratchet & Clank franchise history. According to NPD, in the month of the game’s launch, sales doubled that of 2016 Ratchet & Clank.
The best-selling games of June 2021 in the US (all platforms) are as follows:
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Mario Golf: Super Rush
- MLB: The Show 21
- Scarlet Nexus
- Resident Evil Village
- Mario Kart 8
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- Super Mario 3D World
- Mass Effect: Legendary Edition
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2
- The Legend of Zelda: Breadth of the Wild
- Pokemon Sword/Shield
- Sea of Thieves
Last but not least, the Midnight Black variant of DualSense was the best-selling accessory in the US for the month of June.