As promised last July, Enhance Games announced that: Tetris Effect: Connected goes live via a free update on August 18, adding cross-platform support to all current Tetris effect versions. This includes PlayStation 4, (playable on PS5 via backwards compatibility), Xbox One and Series X/S, and PC platforms.
An overview of the update is as follows:
- Cross-platform play between all current versions of the game.
- Bonus features include a new Spectator mode, as well as PAL and ‘Slow’ speed modes, which are coming to all versions of the game.
- New performance or fidelity graphics options to increase resolution for Oculus Quest 2 headsets.
- Remote Play available on the PlayStation 4 version.
- Skill Rating (SR) is reset in all versions of the game to recalibrate matchmaking between players with similar skills (FYI, current SR is immortalized on the game’s website).
The above bonus features are described below.
- Spectator Mode (Friend Matches Only) – The Tetris effect the community’s most requested feature! Between four and six additional players, depending on the multiplayer mode, can join a match to watch as spectators (and feel in real time from the sidelines), adding flexibility and convenience for anyone looking to host or stream tournaments, or just want to make it easier to get in and out of games with a group of friends.
- PAL speed (classic score attack mode, friend and local matches only) – A new option designed to give the feel of the European PAL format of the Tetris game from the Nintendo Entertainment System, including a lower frame rate, faster horizontal movement, and faster fall speed in later levels.
- Low Speed (Zone Battle Mode, Friend and Local Matches Only) – The downside of Hyper Fast mode, this option slows things down, with a longer input lag for new Tetriminos, slower Line Clear speeds, and slower horizontal movement. Useful for both novice players and advanced pros who can use the delay for more effective stacking and more devastating zone attacks.
We will update our readers when Tetris Effect: Connected goes live.